It was dug in the mid-tenth century, by activity of Kavindrarimathana, Buddhist clergyman of Rajendravarman II. It was later adjusted around the year 1200 by Jayavarman VII, who additionally included the laterite arriving stage at its western side, likely on the grounds that the East Baray had been overpowered by silt and had started failing. French archeological undertakings have discovered a necropolis near to it.
At present Srah Srang measures 700 by 350 m is still somewhat overflowed. As different barays, possibly there was a sanctuary remaining on a manufactured island amidst it, as proposed by finding of a storm cellar. The arriving stage, inverse the passage to Banteay Kdei, is a mainstream site for review the dawn. It is cruciform, flanked by nāga balaustrades which end with the upright leader of a serpent, mounted by a garuda with its wings spread out. The steps that lead down to the water are flanked by two watchman lions.